Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Training week 2: Tuesday

So, that was a surprisingly fun workout!

I started with great crankiness and trepidation. Some magical power seems to have switched North Carolina with Maine this morning, and it was cool and crisp and dry out. What I wanted to do was run along the river, like yesterday, not thinking about or measuring anything--not run on the pavement around my house.

Plus, my feet (or at least the foot I bruised last summer falling out of headstand) seem to be telling me that the minimalist shoes I usually wear are not going to cut it if I spend this much time running on pavement (I usually run on dirt tracks/trails--but they don't have any suitable flat bits for the intervals). I've been doing some runs in my ancient, super-padded shoes, but I think I need a new pair (a third pair, along with the Vibram Five Fingers and the NB Minimus--I see NB has a new shoe with zero heel toe ratio but thicker soles).

But, I figured I'd better get the workout run in today, as it's supposed to be 100F by Friday.

15 minutes slow running: lovely, in this weather! (still listening to Bring Up the Bodies).

3 min. stretching: nice, b/c not dripping sweat!

5x50m uphill strides: surprisingly fun! I eyeballed the distance and just found a likely hill.

2 min. stretch: nice, see above.

5 x 100m strides on flat terrain: not bad. I don't think I went very fast, but I tried to focus on foot turnover and keeping a rhythm. (I think the 100m I've measured on the trail is too long--or at least it seems longer than what I did on the track. I might have to buy a pedometer watch).

10 x (1:30 slow run/:30 medium run): I was dreading doing this after all that other stuff, but it was actually kind of fun to switch strides/pace over such short times. I didn't get really tired until the end, either.

So, yay nice weather! Yay for working out in temperatures under 80F. Also, clearly intervals are easier for me than progressions. Is that true for everyone, or it just b/c I'm more of zero to sixty person than a slow build?

No comments:

Post a Comment